With the aim of providing a lively, yet polite, discussion on the subject matter of my writing I have opened comments to the general public. To the reader who wishes to join this discussion I ask, out of respect for your fellow readers, you abide by this comment policy.
Comments will be moderated. Comments will be judged as coming into one of three categories:
- acceptable speech,
- inappropriate speech
- unacceptable speech
For the purposes of this policy, acceptable speech might be used between well-mannered acquaintances or strangers in a public social setting. Since the term "well-mannered" is debatable I offer the following suggestions:
- Be polite and courteous to one another
- Respect differences in personality, culture, beliefs, ideas and preferences
- Respect individual rights to a sense of security, privacy, freedom of thought and freedom of speech
- Respect that the comment section is open to people from all walks of life and all ages and that some of that audience need not be exposed to inappropriate or unacceptable speech
For the purposes of this policy inappropriate speech should be limited to close friends or acquaintances in a private setting. I offer the following as examples of inappropriate speech:
- Icky personal boundaries
Realizing that many may disagree with me on what constitutes inappropriate speech even in the case of children, I offer this is less of a moral issue than one of personal growth and development as a writer. I prefer not squelch speech which may include inappropriate speech. But if an individual's use of inappropriate speech becomes bothersome to others I may offer that person a timeout to spend a little more time with a dictionary and thesaurus.
For the purposes of this policy, unacceptable speech includes the following:
- Threats of violence
- Threats of stalking
- Ideation of violent or harmful acts to any person
- Slurs about race or ethnicity
- Slurs about cultural heritage
- Slurs about religious preferences or beliefs
- Slurs about sexual orientation
- Slurs about gender identity
- Slurs about the disabled
I mean to be be clear between "threats" and "ideation" of violence. For the purposes of this policy (and very likely from the perspective of a person being addressed in such a manner) the following statements are all equally an extreme violation of this policy:
- I'm going to shoot you
- I wish someone would should you
- You ought to be shot
The consequences of unacceptable speech will depend on the user's history of comments and the severity of the offense.
Lastly, although I'm in favor of supporting a good cause, this is not the place to solicit money or support for any charity, NGO, NFP etc. Also, do not use the comments to attempt to sell a product or service. There are plenty of better channels for such activity specifically intended for such activity.
I reserve the right to ban any user who violates this policy.